Our highly-rated free app, London Explorer, is available for both iOS and Android. It provides an interactive way of exploring London’s famous and quirky places.
London Explorer takes some of the work we did in London Streets, but adds new features such as GPS (so you can see what’s near you if you happen to be in London) as well as a whole host of new content to help you explore famous, lost and quirky London places.
The app also provides a search function – so you can find anything of interest, such as any references to “Dickens” or “Shakespeare” or “pubs” and “taverns”.
With over 400 images and maps, this is a major app. We issue updates to content from time to time to help make this one of the definitive apps about historic and quirky London.
London Streets is another free app for iOS and Android.
It provides an immersive and engaging exploration of the origins of the names of City of London streets.
London Streets includes:
- nearly 70 historic streets in the City of London and surrounding areas
- over 100 historic and contemporary images
- 5 historic maps (from Roman times and the 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th centuries)
- an “easter egg” of a panoramic view of London from 1616 (hint: tap the ‘London Streets’ sign on the home screen)
- 3 “rediscovered” Victorian-style inventions (an early CCTV system, a rare example of a nearly-working Scroll-O-Scope, and a curious invention that automates interactive images of old London)
Our earlier apps for Windows Mobile are now defunct, like the platform itself.